Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Rubberduck Tuesdays: Winter, CERN (again), Being Yourself, and a Bit of Romance...

In honour of the cold outside my window, the first link I shall present you with is a beautiful selection of comics from a duo you probably know and love. Yes, my pretties, Calvin and Hobbes, all of the best winter comics, in one spot! I know, it`s beautiful. What would you do without me, I wander...

In keeping with my rather physics-y theme, I wish to present something rather funny I discovered on the CERN website. It`s a description of a theoretical physicist, by a theoretical physicist. It made me giggle at the over-all silliness of it all, and I think it proves rather well that you don`t every have to grow up if you don`t want to. :) Take this to heart, Ladies and Gents! Growing old is mandatory, but growing up has always been optional.

Another theme which seems to be returning on this blog is human rights. More specifically, the right to be who you are without discrimination (except if you`re a psychopath. In that case, please keep it way down deep inside of you). About a week and a half ago, I read a newspaper article on a pair of biologically male twins. One, Jonas, loved spiderman and pirates, the other, Wyatt, loved tutus and beads. It became obvious to Wyatt`s parents over time that Wyatt was not their son. She was their daughter. Wyatt now goes by the name Nicole, and she says that she`s happy who she is. Nicole just knew who she was, and when her parents realized that, they made certain to support her and help her out. It was at that point in the article that I broke down. I see too many articles about cases where people hurt or kill other people who can be perceived as different. It`s nice to see a bit of humanity in the world, for a change. For those interested, the article is here. It`s a brilliant read, I recommend it for pretty much anyone with a heart.

And finally (my my, this was a very short blog...) a bit of sappyness, courtesy of China. A young man fell in love with a widow who was 10 years older than him. knowing that society would have trouble accept them, they eloped to the mountains where they lived together for the rest of their lives. To help his wife get down the mountain, he carved out over 6000 steps into the side of the mountain where they lived so that she could get to the town below.

can I hear an awwwwww?


Until next time, Rubberduck out!

No comments:

Post a Comment